A terrazzo floor consists of a mixture of crushed marble grains and cement or another binding agent. This type of floor can be laid in tiles or by pouring (casting floor). A variant is the granito floor, which consists of granite granules instead of marble granules. By mixing different materials, unique colour combinations can be given to the floor, giving it a classic or modern look. The colour of the cement can also be adjusted. A terrazzo floor is reasonably wear-resistant.
After installation, the floor should be thoroughly cleaned to remove all grout residue and construction dirt. Use Akemi Stone Cleaner for this purpose.
As this type of floor is sensitive to stains, an impregnation treatment is highly recommended. This makes the floor easier to maintain and provides good protection against the penetration of dirt and stains. Using a product with oleophobic properties gives the stone optimal protection, also against the penetration of oils and greases.
In terms of impregnation product, we recommend Akemi Anti Stain Nano. This product gives virtually no colour dilution.
If a more intense colour and shine is desired, additionally apply Akemi Floor Gloss. This product is water-repellent, colour-diluting and dries quickly. Dosage: approx. 15 - 30 m2/litre.
Here you can find our handy applicators for applying cleaning product as well as for homogeneous application and polishing of impregnating product.
Weekly maintenance (mopping) of terrazzo with Akemi Stone Soap after impregnation creates a good surface compaction and the floor's patina becomes increasingly beautiful and fuller in colour, for a warm maintained appearance.
This gentle, biodegradable, natural soap is the mopping agent of choice for normal cleaning of your terrazzo. Fully soluble in (lukewarm) water, it does not form layers. Its effectiveness is supported by regular use of the existing Akemi impregnation.
By cleaning we mean the occasional removal of stubborn soiling and any maintenance layers (= stripping). Use Akemi Stone Cleaner for this purpose. Only use this powerful cleaner if standard maintenance products cannot remove the dirt.
Repeating the impregnation treatment is generally not necessary for floors. Repeating the - optional - Akemi Floor Gloss treatment may be repeated every year.
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging of maintenance products.
- Mop with a well wrung-out mop or mop. Too much water makes the joints dirty.
- Do not use linseed oil-based cleaning products that coat your floor and consequently make footsteps visible.
- For quick and interim mopping, use Akemi Crystal Clean. This product has a degreasing and quick-drying effect but does not care for and protect your natural stone floor.
- Would you like to have your floor professionally treated and/or sanded? Then feel free to call on our Akemi Home Service. Also for damage repair.