Honed natural stone floors
Honed natural stone floors
This floor type is matt to matt-glossy in terms of its look. Besides the honed finish, you also have a honed and sanded finish that make stone slightly lighter in colour. With all these finishes, the stone pores are limited to moderately open, so daily maintenance with a nourishing and protective stone soap is recommended.
Natural stone (such as marble, limestone, travertine, bluestone, basalt, slate, sandstone and granite) has the great advantage of being a solid material that can be sanded and resurfaced at any time.
After installation, the floor should be thoroughly cleaned to remove all grout residue and construction dirt.
- For acid-sensitive natural stone, (such as marble, limestone, travertine, bluestone,...) use Akemi Stone Cleaner.
- For acid-resistant natural stone (such as granite, basalt and slate) use Akemi Acid Cleaner.
Impregnating this floor type makes maintenance easier and protects against penetration of dirt and stains. We recommend this especially in moisture-sensitive areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Use a product with oleophobic properties so that the stone is optimally protected, also against the penetration of oils and greases.
Suitable products for this are Akemi Anti Stain Nano (colourless) or Akemi Colour Diluter Super (colour diluting).
The protection should only be applied after the floor is completely dry. For floors glued to a dry screed, this is after 6 to 8 weeks. If the floor has been installed on a sand bed with mortar, wait up to 6 months.
Check out our handy applicators for applying cleaning product as well as for homogeneous application and polishing of impregnating product.
For the daily maintenance of your floor, we recommend Akemi Stone Soap. This natural cleaning soap cares for and protects. Do not apply layers. It makes the floor fuller and warmer in colour and supports existing impregnations. Be economical: dissolve 1 to 2 capfuls in a bucket of lukewarm to warm water.
By cleaning we mean the occasional removal of stubborn dirt and any maintenance layers (= stripping). Use Akemi Stone Cleaner for this purpose. Only use this powerful cleaner if standard maintenance products cannot remove the dirt.
Check with the supplier whether your floor has already received an initial impregnation treatment. If not, you can still carry this out yourself. Repeating the impregnation treatment is generally not necessary for floors.
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging of maintenance products.
- Mop with a well wrung-out mop or mop. Too much water makes the joints dirty.
- Do not use linseed oil-based cleaning products that coat your floor and consequently make footsteps visible.
- For quick and interim mopping, use Akemi Crystal Clean. This product has a degreasing and quick-drying effect but does not care for and protect your natural stone floor.
- Would you like to have your floor professionally treated and/or sanded and polished? Then feel free to call on our Akemi Home Service. Also for damage repair.
- If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will respond quickly.