Glossy natural stone floors
Glossy natural stone floors
Of all finishes, (high) gloss offers the best surface compaction where the pores are the most closed. However, with wear and use of the stone, the most heavily trodden surface will mattify, so this finish could use additional gloss maintenance with stone polish.
Natural stone (such as marble, limestone, travertine, bluestone, basalt, slate, sandstone and granite) has the great advantage of being a solid material that can be sanded and polished at any time.
After installation, the floor should be thoroughly cleaned to remove all grout residue and construction dirt.
- For acid-sensitive natural stone, (such as marble, limestone, travertine, bluestone,...) use Akemi Stone Cleaner.
- For acid-resistant natural stone (such as granite, basalt and slate) use Akemi Acid Cleaner.
Sealing this floor type makes maintenance easier and protects against penetration of dirt and stains. We recommend this especially in moisture-sensitive areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Use a product with oleophobic properties so that the stone is optimally protected, also against the penetration of oils and greases.
We recommend to seal the floor with Akemi Stain Repellent Super(colourless) or Akemi Darkener Super (colour diluting), both solvent-based.
The protection should only be applied after the floor is completely dry. For floors glued to a dry screed, this is after 6 to 8 weeks. If the floor has been installed on a sand bed with mortar, wait up to 6 months.
Check out our handy applicators for applying cleaning product as well as for homogeneous application and polishing of impregnating product.
For standard mopping maintenance, use Akemi Stone Soap. This product cleans, conditions and protects. Be economical: dissolve 1-2 capfuls in a bucket of lukewarm to warm water.
To maintain and increase the shine of your floor, additionally use Akemi Stone Polish. Dissolve 2 to 4 capfuls in a bucket of water.
Ideally, use both products in turn, week by week.
By cleaning we mean the occasional removal of stubborn dirt and any maintenance layers (= stripping). Use Akemi Stone Cleaner for this purpose. Only use this powerful cleaner if standard maintenance products cannot remove the dirt.
Check with the supplier whether your floor has already received an initial sealing treatment. If not, you can still carry this out yourself. Repeating the sealing treatment is generally not necessary for floors.
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging of maintenance products.
- Mop with a well wrung-out mop or mop. Too much water makes the joints dirty.
- Do not use 'greasy' cleaning products such as linseed oil-based products or brown soap that will coat your floor and consequently make footsteps visible.
- For quick and intermediate mopping, use Akemi Crystal Clean. This product has a degreasing and quick-drying effect but does not care for and protect your natural stone floor.
- Would you like to have your floor professionally treated and/or sanded and polished? Then feel free to call on our Akemi Home Service. Also for damage repair.
- If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will respond quickly.